If you haven’t seen the movie Nim’s Island; you should! It’s a great family movie, the kids will love, with daring adventure and cute animals. Moms…you’ll love it because Gerald Butler is the dad and the fantastical hero as well. Enough said!
Anything can happen on Nim’s Island, a magical place ruled by a young girl’s imagination. It is an existence that mirrors that of her favorite literary character, Alex Rover- the world’s greatest adventurer. But Alexandra, the author of the Rover books, leads a reclusive life in the big city. When Nim’s father goes missing from their island, a twist of fate brings her together with Alexandra. Now, they must draw courage from their fictional hero, Alex Rover, and find strength in one another to conquer Nim’s Island.
We’ve watched it a few times now and I’ve found some great (and some funny) parenting and life lessons to be learned from the movie!
1) It’s probably never a good idea to leave your child alone on an island when a typhoon is in the forecast…or maybe even at all!
2) You can overcome any fear, at any time in your life, if you have a great enough motivator….like a child left alone on an island!
3) There’s nothing wrong with having imaginary friends…or talking to animals. You’ll never really know if they understand you, but they just might save the day.
4) You should always try new food. You never know what meal worms taste like until you try them!
5) Never give up on your dreams!