I’m sure you’ve all been there at least once in your life, or, if you’re like me, maybe its more of a reoccurring phase. I’m calling it the TIRED cycle. You know the days when you are exhausted and you know all the reasons why. Not enough sleep, not eating right, not exercising. It should be easy to fix right!? I mean, come on, I just ran a 5k only a month ago. What the heck is happening to me? Why can’t I pull my life together at this very moment?
Truthfully it doesn’t really matter how or why you’re stuck. What matters is how you get yourself out of it!
1) Treat yourself to something…anything: a treat, new shirt, go out to the movies. I think most of the time when we get stuck we’re just wallowing in self-pity or over thinking everything. That leads to:
2) If something is worrying you, deal with it. Stressing about your problems all the time just makes you more exhausted!
3) Get off the electronics and get outdoors. I can’t prove it but I’m sure sitting on electronics is making us all zombies! We’re on them so much we have to mentally flick the switch and make ourselves step away from the computer and get outdoors. We want our kids to do it and we need to do it ourselves too! It doesn’t have to be for long. Go for a walk, run, bike, play frisbee or soccer with your kids. Go for a swim in the lake. Have fun! Do things you haven’t done since you were a kid! You’ll love it, it will release endorphins in your brain and guess what…it will break the tired cycle!
4) Don’t sleep next to your electronics. A good night sleep is very important to your body and mind. Sleeping next to a gadget with the wifi on is being looked at now as it might be disrupting your sleep and healing process. I figure it’s better safe then sorry so I now turn off the wifi or the device entirely at night.
5) Drink lots of water and if you like it add lemon or lime to it. It’s a simple thing we forget all the time. Drink a glass as soon as you get up in the morning before your coffee, and keep a bottle next to you all day and I promise you will feel better! It can help relieve headache’s, hydrate your body, and you’ll stop retaining water, so you’ll feel like you lost weight. (Don’t quote me on this…I’m not a doctor or nutritionist! These are just suggestions that have worked wonders for me!)
6) Eat Protein! Sure we all know we’re supposed to be eating healthy and get more fruits and veggies in during the day, but do you know how important protein is? You really need to start fitting more of it in. Protein is a building block and provides energy that lasts longer throughout the day. There are many awesome ways to add it into your day easily. Some suggestions are: boiled eggs, peanut butter, greek yoghurt, nuts, chopped chicken pieces, greek yoghurt, & cheese.
7) Follow your own advice….this one is for me! It’s easy enough to write it out, now to just follow it! Please remind me!