Are you a spontaneous traveller? I’m not usually, but I’ve been thinking about it more and more lately, because I do know how to find good deals and I’ve love to start taking advantage of them! How fun would it be to pull the kids out of school and grab a last minute spring getaway to somewhere warm? It would be amazing! You know it.
You must be thinking about it a lot this year. It’s been too cold in Canada for too long! The ice has covered everything in Nova Scotia. You can’t walk down the driveway, can’t put the garbage out – everything is frozen! Nothing has been easy this winter. We all deserve a break. If you have been smart enough to save up for such an occasion, then here are 5 ideas for last-minute trips to somewhere warm! Keep in mind: I am not specifically recommending any of these companies – you should always research a travel company before you use them. I always research any resort I’m going to stay at on Trip Advisor as well before booking a trip. I also take the negative reviews on Trip Advisor with a grain of salt, some people will complain about everything, but if a resort has consistently bad reviews for mould, garbage or smokey smell, then I’ll stay away!
1) Last Minute All-Inclusives: There are many companies that sell last-minute travel packages for a week away at an all-inclusive. If you’re flexible you can save a lot of money this way. Some companies you could try are Red Tag Vacations, Sell Off Vacations, Sunwing and iTravel2000. I think the most important thing to look for in a last-minute all-inclusive is to go for a resort that is a 4 star or higher. Often in the Caribbean resorts aren’t rated in the same way we might rate a resort in Canada. To avoid disappointment go for the best deal you can get on a nice resort.
2) Plan it Yourself: If you’re going to plan everything yourself at the last-minute you’re going to need a little extra time to search the internet for good deals on flights, hotels and rental cars separately. You can save a lot of money this way if you’re flexible, and don’t care about staying in an all-inclusive resort, or going somewhere specific. There are many websites you can use to search for last-minute flight specials, hotel deals and activity deals. You can get amazing deals on flights with Air Miles at the last-minute, if you are a Gold or Onyx member. They can be up to 40% off! You can use the cheaper airlines found in the USA if you are close enough to drive across the border and fly from a neighbouring US town. You can also sign up for flight notifications with Trip Advisor when the price goes down on a select route. Flight Network will send you out discount codes all the time if you sign up to their newsletters and if you book with them and the price drops after you book they will credit you with the difference on a future flight. It pays to look around!
3) Stay with Friends: Do you know people who live in warm climates? Why not throw together a last-minute visit! If it’s convenient for them of course. You can save a lot of money on a vacation by staying with family and friends. We’ve all done it. It’s not the same as relaxing at a resort, but if it’s warm where you’re going – who cares!?
4) Book a cruise: Just like all-inclusive resorts, cruises often offer up big discounts, on last-minute bookings. You can often find deals on cruises on all of the vacation sites I mentioned above, on the actual websites of the companies: Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney Cruise Line and also on Last Minute Cruises. As with All-Inclusives you get what you pay for. We highly recommend Royal Caribbean!
5) Use Discount Travel Companies for Attractions and Hotels: If you start searching the internet for the location you’re travelling to I am sure you will see many companies offering discounts on tourist attractions or hotels. If you’re going to be in a city and going to multiple attractions I highly recommend CityPASS. If you’re headed to Florida, check out Florida Vacation Auction but be cautious about the terms and conditions. We have used them in the past with no problems for attractions, however some hotels have blackout dates. If you’re heading to Disney and not staying on site then check out Mousesavers for discounts on tickets, hotels, vacation homes and tips! Read more of my tips for Disney on my Disney Page!
For more great Spring travel ideas check out this amazing list of “Sun, Snow and Sea Spring Break Vacation Ideas“, by Family Travel Forum! They have the most comprehensive database of travel information for families I have seen!
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Family Travel Forum, however all opinions are my own! All websites recommended in this post are for informational purposes only and must be used at your own risk.