Watch out! Winter has barely begun and it’s already grating on my nerves. My skin is dry, I’m cold ALL the time and I miss not having to wear 10 layers of clothes just to go outdoors!! Who’s with me?
It takes a lot of energy to stay warm and get through winter. There are a lot of outdoors adventures you can do to make winter fun for your family, but I’ve come up with a few things you can do to just to make you HAPPY when you get the winter blues!
These tips and tricks aren’t about rehydrating or having fun outdoors. They’re all about PAMPERING and RE-ENERGIZING ourselves to bring some light back into our lives.
- MUSIC – Sounds can have a dramatic effect on our emotions and our ability to relax. Why do you think they play nature sounds at the spa or tropical music in an advertisement for a getaway? You can bring those feelings of relaxation and happiness into your home by choosing to play these sounds when you’re tired and stressed out.
- AROMATHERAPY – Oils are gaining in popularity and for a good reason. The right scent or mixture of scents can help boost your immune system, increase you positive mood, relax you and even take away a headache. Some of my favourite scents to use around the home are lavender, orange and peppermint. Make sure you buy diluted oils or dilute them yourself before using them in the bath or on your skin.
- SALT ROOM – Salt Therapy, also known as Halotherapy, is a natural way to treat respiratory and skin ailments. Dead Sea salt makes the salt room a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal environment. This promotes mucus clearance, acts as an anti-inflammatory and fights against harmful germs in the lungs. This would definitely help improve your health and mood during the winter months!
- FLOATATION – A float tank is a pod that you can float in that contains 10″ of water mixed with 800 pounds of dissolved epsom salt. It is an environment free of sight, sound, smell, touch, pressure and friction. One hour in a float tank is equal to 3-4 hours of deep sleep. The benefits can include regulating blood pressure, pain management, increased circulation (this is REALLY beneficial in winter) muscle relaxation and reduced stress levels. Sign me up!
- HOT YOGA – You can find a hot yoga class at almost any yoga centre or gym and I really don’t think I need to say much about the benefit. Isn’t it obvious? You get hot, you release stress and worry, you stretch your muscles, you get exercise which releases endorphins, which makes you happy. And that’s the goal folks. To get through winter happy.
What’s your cure for the winter blues?